The project, briefed by the municipal administration, was targetedtoenhancethe monumental heritage, the waterwaysand theurban spaces of the cityfor cultural andtourist attraction.
Thedesignconcepthas been appliedon three differentlevels:infrastructure, installationsandvisual axes.
An alteration to the public lighting systemhascharacterized the mainurban axes leading to the installations; the light from thehistoric sodium streetlightswas filteredby specialfilmsforglare controland lighting levelsreductionto emphasise the programmed light interventionsandthe shop windows, specially lit for Christmas.
Particularemphasis was given to the street focal points:towers, palaces andgateways to thecity, where thelighting of theverticalsurfaceswere keyelementsof the urban installation.
The project wasaimedat rediscovering the “invisible” places,spacesofvalueaway from thenormaltrade flowsin the town center.
Palladio’s Basilica, the central element ofthe visual axesof the city,was animated bya dynamic installationof lights and sounds(developed by AndreaCeraIRCAM). The inner surfaces of the Basilica’s arches, generally untouched by sunlight, are brought to the focus of the visitor.
The Basilicabecamea key elementof the axes that converge to the systemof the squares. Thecentralwalkwaythrough the basilicaplaced on the citydecuman, features a suspended lit art installation developed by students as part of the lighting course through the School of Architecture, University of Florida.
Another objectiveof the project wastheappreciationof thecity rivers. Speciallighting installationshave emphasizedthe presenceof the waterwaysBacchiglione and Retrone at St. Paul’s Bridge, St. Michael’sBridgeandPontePusterla, where the presence of the rivershas been displayedthrough the reflectionsonthewaterfront buildingsandthroughthe illuminationof green spacealongside.
The citysquares located near to the mainentrances of the historic walls were the subject ofspeciallighting installations, such as the lightingofthe Piazza e Porta Castelloand the lightingof the gardens ofPiazza MatteottiandChiericati Palace (A. Palladio 1550). Theporticoesof the buildingwereenhanced byindirect white lighting, while thefrontgardenis illuminated bya sequence ofskeletallight columns, which are similar to the proportionsof theDoricPalladianmansion.
Finally, the project concerns Viale Milano, a road leading from the railway station. A sequence of pressostatic spheres illuminates the verticality of the buildings of the ’60s, highlighting a place of today’s multi-ethnic and multi-cultural comparison.